There are some great resources DIY tips for small business owners about marketing on the Tourism Boost website by the Small Business Development Corporation.
The following DIY marketing tips come from their website:
Contents of this article
- BUILDING YOUR OWN SITE WITH ‘READY TO GO’ WEBSITE TEMPLATES
- THE PROS AND CONS OF BUILDING YOUR OWN WEBSITE
- BUILD YOUR OWN WEBSITE IN SIX EASY STEPS
- TIPS FOR SELECTING THE RIGHT PROFESSIONALS
- MAKING YOUR WEBSITE EXTRAORDINARY
- WRITING FOR THE WEB
Having your own website is a crucial part of any marketing strategy, it should be considered as important as your brochure.
Your website should be enjoyable to visit and be updated regularly to attract repeat visitors. Effective websites should:
- showcase your products and services;
- include contact details; and
- be interactive so that users can ask questions, give feedback and make bookings online.
BUILDING YOUR OWN SITE WITH ‘READY TO GO’ WEBSITE TEMPLATES
In the early days computer programmers used to ‘code’ everything from the ground up. A special language was created that skilled people could use to create a website, including the background colours, headings, pictures, links, etc. As you can imagine this was a time consuming and very skilled task!
After a while programmers realised that they didn’t need to recreate the wheel every time they built a website, they could use ‘readymade’ code. Soon this ‘off the shelf code’ became freely available to everyone; this is called open source software. Two good examples of open source software are:
Programmers from all around the world have taken open source software to a new level and been busy creating ‘template’ websites. These are literally off the shelf websites that you can buy or sometimes download for free. Many programmers create these templates to test their skills or build a reputation. As consumers, we are all benefiting from this open source software.
If you download a FREE web template quite often you can ‘upgrade’ to a package that includes your own domain name and monthly hosting. The cost can start from as little as $5 per month depending on your hosting requirements.
There are many template sites and some are definitely better than others. We recommend doing your research by asking friends and family for recommendations, searching through internet forums or looking at sites that have used the same template and checking their functionality. Here are some ‘do it yourself’ sites that have been recommended to us:
THE PROS AND CONS OF BUILDING YOUR OWN WEBSITE
These days anyone can build and manage a website, you can even do it yourself! There are advantages and disadvantages associated with creating your own website.
- Is cheaper in a $$ sense than paying someone to do it for you.
- Will increase your knowledge of computers and up skill you in this area.
- You have complete control over the maintenance of your site.
- It can be a significant time commitment to create a site – is your time better spent doing something else, like gaining more customers?
- Depending on the features you want, it could be too complicated for you to do without assistance from a professional.
- Your business website might look like many others if you download a stock standard template.